Aloha, folks! I don’t know about you, but I love to snack throughout the day. However, due to high blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure, I sometimes struggle to find healthy alternatives to my beloved salty, fatty snacks. By adding chili pepper water to some low-fat / low-sodium / low-sugar snacks, I don’t have to sacrifice flavor for eating well. Here is a list of my go-to snacks with chili pepper water. Which ones would you try?
1. Plain microwave popcorn. You can add dashes of my chili pepper water to add flavor and a little heat if you so desire.
2. Low-fat cottage cheese. You can add any flavor of chili pepper you want, but
we’ve found the jalapeno flavor goes really well with the cottage cheese.
3. Fruit salad. Yes, really! You may think of salty, savory snacks are best with my chili pepper water, but somehow the vinegar brings out the flavor of the fruit well.
4. Hummus with pita chips. I love hummus and while you can use any baked chips you want; pita chips are delicious. Make a little well in the center of the hummus and add some chili pepper water or sprinkle the chili pepper water all over. Or, if you are having a get-together, get 3 packages of hummus and designate a chili pepper water for each so your guests can eat what they like.
5. Pickled Mango. This is a Hawaiian favorite. Add slices of mango to a bowl or jar filled with chili pepper water. Let marinate for at least 8 hours and enjoy!